What is Marketing: To a lot of individuals, marketing equates to one of two things:
- Selling: with all that entails such as the dreaded double-glazing or financial salesman.
- Advertising: with all that entails such as the smooth young creative and smarmy account person.
Marketing of course also encompasses these functions – though, hopefully
not as in the stereotypes that are in so many minds – but marketing is
about a great deal more than just selling or advertising.
Marketing is the wide range of activities involved in making sure that you're continuing to meet the needs of your customers and are getting value in return.
What Is Marketing
- Finding out what groups of potential customers or markets exist
- What groups of customers you prefer to serve – your target markets
- What their needs are, what products or services you might develop to meet their needs
- How customers might prefer to use the products and services
- Who the competitors are and what they are doing
- What pricing mechanism and approach you should use
- How each of the target markets might choose to access the product, etc.
- How much customers / clients might be willing to pay and how.
- How to design and describe the product such that customers/clients will buy from the organization, rather than from its competitors – the unique value proposition
- How the company or products should be identified – personality -to be most identifiable i.e. naming and branding
- Ongoing campaigns, which can include advertising, public relations, sales and customer service
All of this was characterized many years ago by Dr. Philip Kotler as the 4Ps:
- Product – making what customers want
- Place – delivering it via the channels they want to use
- Promotion – making them aware of its existence
- Price – making it available at a price they will pay
At the end of the day marketing is really about not losing sight of the basics.
You have to be focused on what customers require as the outcome and then find out how to get there by meeting customers needs over a period of time, in a socially responsible way, whilst making a reasonable profit.
Marketing is really a philosophy and attitude about customer focus that has to run through the whole organisation.
If you get that you get marketing.
Easy, of course to say.
Frequently not so easy to achieve!
10 Incredible Ways To Sell Your Products Now
1. Make your reader visualize they have already bought your product in your ad.
Tell them what results they have gotten and how it makes them feel.
They'll already become emotionally attached before they buy.
2. Turn your ad into an article. It could be a story, or how-to article.
This will lead them into your ad without them knowing it's an ad.
They'll already be interested when they get to your sales pitch.
3. Make sure you show your reader that they are getting value or a bargain.
Tell them the usual price you sell your product for is $99.
Then tell them if they order today they can buy it for $69.95.
4. Direct your ad headline to your target audience.
Your readers will feel important and belong to a select group of people who buy your product.
For example; "Attention! Accountants, Discover A New Way To Increase Your Client Base!"
5. Tell your reader how fast they can receive your product or service in your ad.
Their buying decision may be based on how fast they can receive your product.
They may need it by a certain deadline.
6. Use bullets to highlight your product or services benefits.
Benefits are the key to selling anything, make them standout in your ad.
You can use dots, dashes, or circles to highlight them.
7. Give a money back guarantee that surpasses a normal one.
Instead of the normal timed guarantee, give them extra back.
Tell them they can keep the free bonus or give them double their money back.
8. Tell your reader they'll receive surprise bonuses.
This'll raise your reader's curiosity and make them want to buy so they can find out what the surprise bonuses are.
9. Let your reader know this specific package will not be offered again.
You must create urgency so people buy now.
You may always sell the same product but not with the same bonuses or price.
10. Give them a couple tips in your ad that will help them with their problem.
This will give your business credibility and gain your readers trust to buy your products or services.